Metabolic Rate & Endurance Testing
Why Test your Metabolic Rate?
Understanding your body’s unique metabolic rate will allow your practitioner to customize your weight loss or maintenance program around your needs.
• It can screen for a slowed metabolism that may explain frustrated attempts to lose weight in the past.
• It can reveal changes in your metabolism during the weight loss process that can help trouble shoot a frustrating plateau.
• Once you reach your goal, an RMR measurement can give you the precise caloric prescription for maintenance to help you sustain that goal weight.
VO2 Max is the ULTIMATE indicator in cardiovascular fitness.
Get the most out of your workout.
Each person has optimal training zones.
Exercise equipment and charts that tell you target heart rates are actually just averages based on age and weight. The CardioCoach measures your precise target heart rate based on anaerobic threshold, then calculates your unique Target Intensity Zones. These Zones give you the precise heart rates necessary to optimize each level of exercise and maximize your results. With Target Intensity Zones, you’ll work out smarter, not harder!
Burn more FAT!
VO2testing reveals the exercise level that will optimize a person’s ability to burn fat.
The term “aerobic exercise” has been commonly used in relation to burning fat. But without VO2 testing, fitness professionals have had to rely on crude estimates to determine what level of exercise intensity would be “aerobic” or fat burning. Now, with VO2 testing readily available, you can know the precise level of intensity that will truly maximize the amount of fat you burn.
How Is A VO2 Test Performed?
1. Put on a heart rate strap and face mask. The mask is connected to the CardioCoach device.
2. Begin to exercise on a treadmill or cycle. Your trainer will instruct you to gradually increase your intensity over a period of 6 to 20 minutes.
3. The CardioCoach will indicate when the test is completed. You can cool down while your Target Intensity Zones are calculated and printed in a simple, insightful report
Informed Consent Form- Required for Vo2 testing.
What is a Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) Test?
Metabolism is the process of converting food (calories) into energy. The efficiency with which your body does this is referred to as your metabolic rate. Many factors affect a person’s metabolic rate: weight, age, body composition, hormone levels, and gender making it a highly unique number.
Preparing for the Test
In order to get the most accurate results, it is important to follow the standard protocol for a Resting Metabolic Rate test:
1. You should avoid eating 4 hours before the test.
2. Avoid exercising prior to your test.
3. If possible, avoid the use of stimulants such as caffeine.
During the Test
During the test you will be invited to sit or recline in a comfortable position. You will be given a KORR MetaBreather mouthpiece to breathe in to. You will be breathing in air from the room, but the gas that you breathe out will go into the metabolic analyzer to measure your metabolic rate.
1. Relax and close your eyes during the test.
2. Keep lips sealed lightly around the MetaBreather. It is important that all the air you breathe out is analyzed.
3. In just 10 minutes, your metabolic rate will be measured!
Decrease Fatigue and Injury
Frequently we push ourselves thinking, “no pain, no gain.”
The truth is, pushing beyond one’s optimal training zone leads to fatigue and discomfort. It will also cause increased soreness after the workout and may contribute to exercise related injury. When you know your zones and use them for training, cardiovascular exercise is comfortable.
Even a beginner can go the distance!
Medical Clearance Form